On average 39 people die each year in FIRES in this country.
FIRES do not always happen to other people.
The next FIRE could be in YOUR HOME!
Together We Can STOP Fire
STOP stands for:
- S - is for Smoke alarms. Make sure you have at least one on every level/floor.
- T - is for Test your smoke alarms weekly or ask someone to check it for you.
- O - is for Obvious dangers. Look out for fire risks like overloaded sockets, candles and unattended appliances.
- P - is for Plan your escape route. Keep access routes clear and have your keys at the ready.
- Smoking when tired
- Leaving burning candles unattended
- Leaving young children unattended
- Leaving matches and lighters where children can get them
- Leaving chip pans, frying pans, etc unattended
- Standing too close to fires, heaters, etc
- Using faulty electrical appliances
- Overloading sockets
Make sure to:
- Have your chimney cleaned at least once a year
- Use a sparkguard with open fires
- Use proper holders when burning candles
- Keep ashtrays empty when not in use
- Have a suitable fire extinguisher and fire blanket in your kitchen
- Have faulty electrical appliances repaired or replaced immediately
- Close all doors at night time
- Carry out a routine fire safety check before going to bed