Together We Can STOP Fire
STOP stands for:
- S – is for Smoke alarms. Make sure you have at least one on every level/floor.
- T – is for Test your smoke alarms weekly or ask someone to check it for you.
- O – is for Obvious dangers. Look out for fire risks like overloaded sockets, candles and unattended appliances.
- P – is for Plan your escape route. Keep access routes clear and have your keys at the ready.
- Smoking when tired
- Leaving burning candles unattended
- Leaving young children unattended
- Leaving matches and lighters where children can get them
- Leaving chip pans, frying pans, etc. unattended
- Standing too close to fires, heaters, etc.
- Using faulty electrical appliances
- Overloading sockets
Make sure to:
- Have your chimney cleaned at least once a year
- Use a sparkguard with open fires
- Use proper holders when burning candles
- Keep ashtrays empty when not in use
- Have a suitable fire extinguisher and fire blanket in your kitchen
- Have faulty electrical appliances repaired or replaced immediately
- Close all doors at night time
- Carry out a routine fire safety check before going to bed